Thursday, December 20, 2012

Music Year End Review

With 2012 coming to a close, I've decided to write about my favorite songs of the year.  So many excellent selections, mainly coming from the Red Dirt and Americana genre; but also a few mainstream country songs that deserve recognition.

After #1, I'm listing in no particular order because it's too difficult to choose the best song.


1.  "Pennsylvania Avenue" by Reckless Kelly - Defines the year in regards to the election and our future.


2.  "Even If It Breaks Your Heart" by Eli Young Band - Smash hit, amazing lyrics and soaring chorus.
3.  "In The Mean Time" by Chris Knight - Raw, real, another song that is defining 2012 in its lyrics regarding government, God, and the economy.
4.  "Merry Go 'Round" by Kacey Musgraves - Plaintive, simple, this is country music.
5.  "Give It A Try" by Reckless Kelly - I'm biased.  Damn good song.
6.  "Love Don't Let Me Down" by Hayes Carll & Caitlin Rose - The most lovely duet I've heard in a long time.

7.  "Fastest Girl In Town" by Miranda Lambert - Edgy, fun, makes me feel like hitting the road.
8.  "Alabama Pines" by Jason Isbell - Splendid, flowing, pure Americana.

9.  "Touch" by Josh Abbott Band - A lush Texas country ballad.
10. "Waitin' On The Sky" by Steve Earle - Americana at its best.
11. "Fly Over States" by Jason Aldean - I love to travel, I love America, I love the fly over states.
12. "Stronger" by Kelly Clarkson - The female anthem of the year.  I'm not a pop/rock fan but I love almost everything the future Mrs. Blackstock sings.
13. "Hobo" by The Departed - I'm a sucker for traveling songs.
14. "Hell's Gates On Fire" by Josh Abbott Band - 2012 has been a year of drought and massive wildfires across the West.  Written about the wildfires in Texas a couple of years ago, but so fitting for those of us in the Rocky Mountain West this year.
15. "How Far I'll Go" by Micky & The Motorcars - Again, I'm biased.  Pretty ballad by one of my favorite Roots Rockers.

The crop of great mainstream country songs continue to decline year after year, meanwhile, down in Texas they continue to churn out stellar song after song.

I know I've missed numerous great songs, if I have, leave me a message.

Here's to 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment