Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day Is Here

Election Day in the United States is finally here.  After all of the campaigning, America gets to choose who the next President is, as well as officials in the local and State levels.

As Americans, voting isn't just a right, it's a privilege.  It's a way for us to decide how our country is run.  Some people scoff at the idea of voting, they believe it doesn't matter.  Sure, with the Presidential vote, the Electoral College has a deciding factor, but so do we.  The majority of people I work with don't vote because they either don't care or think it doesn't matter.  This apathy towards our privilege baffles me.  Why wouldn't you want to take a stand?  Why wouldn't you want to voice your opinion, let the lawmakers know that you will fight for what's right?!  When I was a little kid, I remember going to the polls with my parents and watching them vote.  Even at that young age, I knew that they were doing something very important for our future.  I have voted in every election since I turned 18.  I love that fact that I get to vote and help make a difference.  Some folks think voting is a chore, just another thing on their to-do list for the day.  I don't see it as a chore.  I see it as a privilege, it's an event!  Stand in line and be proud to be an American!  It's all part of who we are!  We get to vote to help shape America's future!  For those of you who don't vote, WAKE UP!

With all Presidential politics aside, it's also important to vote because at the local level, you decide who runs your cities and counties, in addition to what gets built or what stays on the back burner for another election.  Voting one way or another can come down to whether you pay more property or sales taxes.

Bottom line...get out and vote!  It doesn't matter if you're Democrat, Republican, Independent, or none of the above; you need to have your voice heard.  Don't consider voting a chore, consider it a privilege to stand in line and know that you've made a difference in America's future.

No comments:

Post a Comment